Monday, January 28, 2013

Wondrous Life of Brian


A new BBC science series started yesterday, called the "Wonders of Life" it's been advertised all week and is fronted by the ubiquitous Prof. Brian Cox, so, at 9 pm I settled down on the sofa with a nice Thornbridge IPA and tuned in.

The first thing that became clear was that this program will almost certainly generate a lot of "letters" to the BBC from quivering Christian and Muslim apologists who will probably be offended by the lack of deference to their various myths. Brian Cox is a fairly outspoken rationalist, he doesn't believe in God(s) and is outspoken on the subject of woo-woo (i.e. things like homoeopathy and astrology) this was clear from the outset. Life as he described it is a natural process, no need for magical spirits or souls and science should be able to explain everything about it using only the laws of physics. He's got all the evidence on his side of course but as the words were emerging from my TV speaker I was thinking about all those tedious CIF comments espousing "mystery", "fundamentalist atheists" and "you never know..". It was refreshing to watch something that went to the heart of things and took a strong position rather than the usual dancing around the handbags when it comes to public broadcasts and the origins of life / nature of conciousness etc. Creationists be damned.

As for the content, I quite liked it, I learned a few things and overall I though that it handled some complex topics with reasonable examples and analogies whilst not dumbing down too much. The filmography was slightly cheesy (lots of stunning backdrops, unnecessary helicopter shots and dramatic music) but then again his hero is Carl Sagan so what do you expect. I recorded it for my kids to watch at an earlier time, that's usually the acid test for me, if it holds their attention for an hour then it's all good in my book.

5 comments:

Archdruid Eileen said...

Of course, the single of "mitochondria" is "mitochondrion".

Archdruid Eileen said...

And I've checked the spelling 6 times there and I still reckon I could be wrong.

Steve Borthwick said...

AE, I'm not going to argue with you there!

I did notice one graphic sequence where DNA was spelled out "dioxy.." instead of "deoxy..", that'll be the artists getting their own back for all the cheesy sunsets.. ;)

Chairman Bill said...

I hate travelogues. It's an excuse to cut down on the material and pad it out.

Chairman Bill said...

When he said; "We've come here to see our closest relative," I expected the equally ubiquitous Jim Al Kalili to jump out with a big sign saying "chemistry professor".