Thursday, August 30, 2018

Reminder from a Remainer IV


I see "project fear" is chugging along nicely, now even the Japanese are getting in on the act! 

The electronics company Panasonic are moving their headquarters to Amsterdam from the UK, where they've been resident for several decades. There are many Japanese tech companies based in the UK where they employ over 100,000 people, let's hope they don't all read Brexit the same way that Panasonic has, although I don't see any commercial reason why they wouldn't. 

You may be wondering why this move is of any importance to me, well, this office (picture above) is in a town called Bracknell which is approximately 5 miles from my front-door and I know several people who have and are working there! When something like this happens on your doorstep it makes you stop and think (or it should do!) Two years ago I had assumed my kids were growing up in a modern hi-tech area of our country with plenty of investment, expansion and highly paid job opportunities (I pay way over the national average for everything home, leisure and transport related based on that assumption) I wonder what's going to happen to prices, infrastructure and investment around here as prestigious companies like this start to relocate to Europe in ever increasing numbers, but hey, I wouldn't want to "scare" anyone! After all, we've all got so much more "control" now haven't we..

No comments: