Wednesday, December 19, 2018

Belgian delights


It's been ages since I've blogged about my brewing hobby so here's a little note about a beer that I made a couple of weeks ago. It's a Belgian style beer, and what this typically means is that it has the following (broad) attributes, it's reasonably strong, i.e. > 5% ABV, usually blond and its made using a special style of yeast, one that imparts fruity esters, spice  and a particular "funk" to the beer. The yeast I used can be seen in the photograph above, it's from a company called "Mangrove Jack's" and is supposedly harvested from a strain of yeast prevalent in Belgian monasteries, hence the name "Belgian Abbey". I've used it before and its certainly delivers a classic Belgian vibe to the beer. To mix things up a bit I've used American hops (usually Belgian beers use German or UK hops) this means an extra citrus/fruit character, hopefully the two styles can live side-by-side, we shall see! Watch out for a tasting report in a couple of weeks when everything has fermented out and conditioned..

No comments: