Friday, April 09, 2021

Tenure


Been interviewing people for a couple of jobs I have going at my company this week, it's a tricky thing to do remotely, difficult to read the body language and hard to really engage with someone at arms length. Still, it's not going too badly, may have snagged someone this week, even though their internet connection was awful and I could only hear two out of every three words they said! 

There seems to be a lot of people moving around at the moment, I reckon there's some kind of phycological effect due to lockdown going on, i.e. now that freedom is tangible people are using it to try to get a "fresh start", i.e. a few more quid and a change of scene etc. It's a pain in the backside for employers as those of us that invest heavily in people see pound notes walking out of the door when people leave. Anyway, I can't complain, the average tenure of a programmer in the Thames Valley at the moment is around 18 months, which is daft! Fortunately the average tenure at my company for a programmer is four and three quarters years which is much more manageable.

 

No comments: