Friday, October 07, 2022

Unsatisfied

 


I saw an interesting exchange on social media the other day between a theist and an atheist which nicely summed up my position on the topic. The theist asked the atheist,

"what gives your life meaning if you don't believe in God?"..

The atheist replied (exactly as I would) with the following answer,

"Love of my family, love of my friends, fulfilment in knowing that this is all there is and thus the importance of time and making the most of what we have. The joy in knowing you've won the lottery of life, cheese, wine, good food and a complete lack of unnecessary guilt."..

It's a good answer and concurs with most people's life experience, however, it leaves us with an unsettling question, i.e. does this mean that the theist is unsatisfied with these things to such an extent that she wants to embellish life with something unknowable?

No comments: