Thursday, April 20, 2023

Cold IPA


I found myself in Exmouth Market (London) on Monday night, I had a business meeting early the next morning and decided to stay up in town. Anyway, I had a couple of hours to kill so decided to take a stroll around Clerkenwell and surrounds, it was a pleasant evening and there were a lot of people out and about. At the end of my walk I popped into the Mikkeller bar and had a half of this fine looking ale by Czech brewers RodinnĂ½ pivovar Zichovec. 

It's a "Cold IPA" which is a new style doing the rounds at the moment, essentially an IPA (cold-side hopped etc.) but is made with Lager yeast and the addition of rice into the grist, this means that it's highly fermented, i.e. most of the sugar is consumed and the finished beer is bone dry and feels "light", however the hop profile and bitterness is much more like an American pale or IPA. Not sure I could drink more than one or two of these, bit "grassy", maybe one for the warmer weather!

 

No comments: