Friday, September 11, 2009

9/11

Well it's that time of the year again, 9/11 or as us Brits like to call it 11/9. Many bloggers are putting up posts about this historic event 8 years ago today; it is so indelibly etched on our collective consciousness that it's almost a mandatory topic. I have a mixed memory of the day, of course I remember the anguish and the drama of the terrorist attacks, but it was also memorable for me because it was the day that my newborn son came home for the first time and my wife and I were so excited to be looking after him; learning new emotions and experiences at an exponential rate. It was doubly poignant for me because the company I worked for at the time had an office on Wall street (a few blocks from the WTC) and at that time I was shuttling back and forth to New York, my plan had been to be in NY that week and had it not been for my son being born I probably would have been staying in the Marriot at the WTC itself or possibly the Hilton across the square which is where I normally stayed.

Like everyone else I was glued to the news that day and watched with horror as events unfolded; my work colleagues and I desperately tried to contact our American friends and colleagues to make sure they were OK but it was dreadfully difficult, the phone system was severely stressed and most people weren't in the places they normally were. In the end our story was not a tragic one nobody I knew was killed or injured, at least not physically anyway.

I visited the site a few weeks later, my lasting memory was of the smell, anyone who has ever had a deep freeze full of meat defrost and sit festering for a month will know the kind of smell I'm talking about; we had to move the entire office up to Midtown after that, it was so awful. The other feeling I had was of the sheer magnitude and scale of the aftermath, the whole area looked like Godzilla had stridden through the place, taking swipes out of the buildings as he went.


The attacks also had a profound effect on me intellectually; combined with my new found responsibilities it made me seriously re-evaluate what I thought about religion and its place in our society. Many apologists would claim that these attacks had little to do with "real" religion and I wouldn't be so naïve to think that they were exclusively about religion, but religion was and remains an important and enabling component, when you have faith, anything is possible.

6 comments:

Elizabeth said...

Great post, as usual. Gave me so much to think about -- and your memories are beautifully recalled.

Steve Borthwick said...

Thanks E.

Chairman Bill said...

Steve, the perpetrators of 9/11 were utterly convinced they were doing God's work in destroying infidels, and firmly believed that at the end of the day they would be sitting with Allah, bypassing Judgement Day. Read the Quran and you can find the passages justifying their actions.

Steve Borthwick said...

Hi Bill, like the Bible it was largely plagiarised from, you can find justification for pretty much anything if you say "god is on my side".

As far as the 9/11 hijackers were concerned they believed they were the most moral of men; that's the problem with "faith", anything is possible.

David Keen said...

Excellent post. Got me thinking would that 'faith' include 'faith' in a cause or ideology? Your post has got me wondering at what point any secular ideology (Marxism, Naziism, nationalism, capitalism even) becomes a 'faith' rather than just a set of ideas.

All sorts of atrocities are committed in the name of causes which people get blindly committed to, some of those are overtly religious, some of them aren't. Is 9/11 principally about 'faith', or is it about what humans are capable of doing if they're deluded enough?

Steve Borthwick said...

Hi David, thanks for your comment.

For me faith in the sense I use it here is a belief in something without evidence or despite the evidence.

Of course we would probably debate what "evidence" means, your interpretation of a beautiful flower would probably be different from mine etc.. What I am talking about would be evidence in the scientific sense, i.e. testable or falsifiable.

I would absolutely agree with you that regimes like Stalinist Russia or Nazism all had this kind of "faith" in certain things, Stalin with his Lysenko-ism and Hitler with his Aryan supremacy delusion to name but two examples, they were also very evil men to boot. This is a human condition, not necessarily a religious one although religions are by far the biggest proponent of it, they rely on it of course.

Delusion is the key, if you cannot falsify your belief then you cannot show yourself to be objectively wrong about it (even to yourself), hence anything becomes possible if you think that God or the Pope or Stalin etc. says it's OK. If you listen to the last messages of the 9/11 hijackers this is precisely what they thought, and nothing that I could have said or you could have said would have convinced them they were wrong, they believed their faith in their cause was the "ultimate" virtue because by definition such faith cannot be falsified.

Thankfully most humans have an innate morality derived from our evolutionary heritage, the history of the enlightenment is one of overcoming so called "truths" based on revelation, tradition or authority with actual truths based on evidence and reason.

Could we ever eliminate this?, probably not, but aiming for a more rational society that retains it's culture and character seems like it might represent an improvement to me.