Saturday, November 07, 2015

Chinook taste test


I brewed a beer back in October using a hop I'd never heard of before called "Chinook"; it comes from the USA and imparts spicy warm flavours of pine and fruit into the beer. I made an IPA out of a mixture of pilsner malt, biscuit malt and aromatic malt to which I added quite a large amount of the hops spread over several drops into the boil pot; I thought I'd be brave and give it a try today.

The beer came out quite dark (as you can see) and not particularly carbonated (a very light fizz) the aromas are great, hoppy and fruity then the taste hits you like a wave of pine forest on a hot sunny day, really good, I'm amazed you can make a beer so good with just basic pots and pans. I need to do this one again but I think I'm going to prime the bottles a little better so that I get a stronger carbonation, other than that it's sliding down great. I didn't measure the specific gravity of this one but it tastes like about 6-7%, enough to warm anyone's cockles on a on a rainy Saturday evening in Berkshire!

2 comments:

A Heron's View said...

Is it varnish ?

Steve Borthwick said...

HV - luckily didn't taste like varnish, although I fear it's only a matter of time before I forget a vital step and produce something that actually tastes like varnish!