Tuesday, March 09, 2010

Stone, paper, scissors, hurricane?

According to the Governor of Florida the reason why his state hasn't been hit by any serious storms since he has taken office is that he sends a "prayer" written out on a piece of paper and has it inserted into the wailing wall in Jerusalem. Apparently Charlie Crist (a Methodist) has such a personal relationship with God that he can direct the weather patterns in the Gulf of Mexico. I wonder if the majority of people in Florida feel that it's "normal" for elected representatives to claim such supernatural authority? Presumably they are since they voted for him, I also wonder what image he has in his mind when he thinks about his all powerful God, something like the one below perhaps?


I visited Florida with my family last year and I suppose I owe a debt of gratitude to Governor Crist for the lack of Atlantic depressions in proximity to my hotel. I can't help feeling a little guilty though as there were over 1000 people killed and more than 40,000 rendered homeless by various hurricanes and tropical storms in that region in 2008/2009; does this mean that these people paid the ultimate price at the hand of Charlie's personal "God" just so I could ride the Pirates of the Caribbean?

No comments: