Friday, April 27, 2012

Dying regrets

Not a particularly uplifting thought for a Friday afternoon and something most people probably already know, but interesting never the less. A palliative nurse in Australia who has for many years counselled the dying in their last days has documented the most common regrets that her patients expressed at the end of their lives, here are the top 5...

1. I wish I'd had the courage to live a life true to myself, not the life others expected of me.
2. I wish I hadn't worked so hard.
3. I wish I'd had the courage to express my feelings.
4. I wish I had stayed in touch with my friends.
5. I wish that I had let myself be happier.

As the universe so frequently demonstrates, life is excruciatingly rarely how we'd wish it to be and if permitted by society (and there are many that don't) people themselves are the primary agent of purpose and change in their lives, apparently most people don't realise this fact until it's too late or in many cases delegate responsibility to invisible forces; I guess that's human too.

No comments: