Tuesday, July 31, 2018

Ridge recommendation


It feels like I haven't talked about one of my great hobbies (Wine) for ages so to remedy that here's a recommendation from my recent holiday in the USA. It's from one of my favorite producers in California called "Ridge". These guys produce wines ranging from hundreds of pounds per bottle down to what I would call mid-range prices i.e. between 10 and 20 pounds per bottle. This one would be around the £15-18 mark retail but probably around £30-40 in a restaurant (mark-ups are shocking these days!) It's made (primarily) from Zinfandel grapes, a varietal Ridge do exceptionally well, and is superb value for money. A real food wine, it's deep red-berry and plum fruit is balanced perfectly with ripe tannin and for me it punches well above it's weight. It will age well for 5-10 years too I reckon.

Probably quite hard to find in the UK, but if you ever see it snap it up!

No comments: