Sunday, July 08, 2018

Sunday Surmon


A couple of Jehovah's Witnesses knocked on my door the other weekend, pushing their little leaflets (does anyone ever find them compelling?) Anyway, I don't mind having a doorstep chat occasionally but at that particular moment I was in the middle of doing some weights and was keen not to "cool-down" too much so I wanted to cut the conversation short. The first thing that popped out of my mouth as the leaflet edged toward me was, "no thanks, I'm a rampant Atheist". 

For a second it was smiles all round and then I realised what I'd said, and my predicament, there I was trussed up like some kind of sweaty gimp (tight back-support belt & gloves) claiming to be "rampant" - what I meant to say was "strident" but clearly the testosterone of a tough work-out got the better of me. Fortunately the Christians at the door saw the funny side and we shared a little giggle on a Saturday morning, probably not the best way to represent Atheism, but hey, at least they enjoyed the laugh.

No comments: