Thursday, October 04, 2018

Birthday bash


It was my birthday yesterday so my wife and I took a day off work and travelled up to London to have a lazy lunch and to potter around a bit, take in a museum or two. I'm pleased to report it was a lovely day. We started in the Tate Britain and ogled the Turners, Blakes and the Constables then we headed over to Hackney Wick to try out Tom Brown's new restaurant called "Cornerstone" the food was outstanding (mackerel pate to die for and boy oh boy the carrots, just amazing) and all pretty reasonable too, although as you can see from the photo the location is a bit scary. More East-end hipster than West-end swank. The staff were great too, they even knew it was my birthday (we didn't tell them) I guess they knew from the booking system, anyway a couple of free champagnes were waiting for us when we arrived!

After a long delicious lunch we headed back to Covent Garden and had a little mooch around the shops then ducked into Lowlander for a handful of chips with mayonnaise and a nice Belgian beer (or two - see below) then a quick hop across to Paddington and home. I must say I was a little slow getting to full revs. this morning and I'm expecting to sleep quite well this evening but we had a great time.


No comments: