Wednesday, June 05, 2019

Equality among racists


I see that anti-Trump protesters are out in force this week to mark the visit of the hairpiece in chief to our fair shores. One aspect of the coverage did stand out for me and that was the choice of placard that many of the demonstrators had made, looking at the coverage it seemed as though many of the (left-leaning) people had gone for "No to racism, No to Trump", it's probably a fair point but is it really the strongest criticism that you could level at this president? 

I perhaps would have gone for the anti-global warming conspiracy theories issue (since it affects the entire population of the planet) or perhaps the war mongering with other nuclear powers (since that also affects the entire population of the planet) or even perhaps the accusations of sexual assault, but racism? I do wonder if the term "racism" is becoming a superficial catch-all, used primarily by left-wing types (although more and more by right wing types also) for simply anyone that disagrees with them. I do hope I'm wrong about this, the biggest risk in my view is that a trivialization of this term will inevitably lead to REAL racists being able to hide behind an accusation which has lost all of it's teeth, and can be safely ignored by everyone, or maybe we've reached that point already?

No comments: