Thursday, November 25, 2021

Puns (that only work in the UK)

 


I came across a set of shop name puns the other day, most were seriously groan worthy and therefore excellent examples of their craft! A rather obvious one above, in fact hairdressers seem to be quite popular on the pun front, we used to have one in our town called "Hairy Poppins", bought a smile to my face every time I walked by.


Another UK centric example above and a rather dark restaurant example below, I wonder if their menu is suitably made up of Titanic related puns too, I bet iceberg lettuce features heavily!


Here's another example, nothing quite like putting a d-list celebrity's name together with a bastardized version of a word describing what you do and it kind of making sense, a splendid effort!


The next one is fairly good, a play on Post Office but I can't get over the name of the village/town, clearly Northern Ireland somewhere but does that actually say "Ballybogey"?


We seem to like this kind of thing here in the UK more than anywhere else, certainly that I've visited at least! Quite often the puns are quite naughty too, I remember seeing an antiques shop called "Knobs and Knockers" somewhere once, much ambiguity around what they were selling I'm sure!





No comments: