Saturday, March 11, 2023

Memory Drain


Popped into Reading yesterday (Friday) afternoon to pick up a pair of new denim jeans and also to meet up with my Wife who'd spent the day lunching in London with a friend and was arriving by train at around 4pm, she was late and I had an hour or so to kill so I walked over the Christchurch footbridge to Caversham and made a beeline for one of my favourite pubs. 

The Fox and Hounds is an institution around these parts, always has a superb selection of craft beers on tap and an excellent indoor-outdoor setup, It's been a good 18 months since I last dropped in and it's had a bit of an overhaul since my last visit. Back in 2016/17 I used to pick up both of my kids from schools in this area on a Friday afternoon, my Son finished at 4pm and my daughter finished at 5:30pm so my Son and I used to grab a quick half (he had a Coke obvs!) in the Fox while waiting for her. It became a nice little ritual that we both used to look forward to, a little island of peace in which to catch up on stuff in an otherwise hectic schedule. 

Sitting there yesterday put me in mind of those times, good memories, anyway, life rolls on and although both my kids are away at university these days the beer in the Fox was as good as ever. I had a pint of Verdant "People, Money, Space, Time" a brilliant pale ale that bursts with flavour and is only 3.8% ABV, surely the best sub 4% pale ale in the country at the moment, delicious!

No comments: