Saturday, October 28, 2023

Grumpy as Goats


I learned this week that one of my favourite little watering holes in Reading is to close on Saturday. The Grumpy Goat, somewhere I've blogged about here, and here, and here, is to shut it's doors for the last time. Apparently (according to the owners) there has been an argument with the landlords that is irreconcilable and they have been given one week to vacate the premises. Now, I'm old enough to know that there are always two sides to a story and so far we've only had the business's side, but never the less, it's super sad to see a local (and successful) firm, who have built up a strong local following, be put in a position like this for what seems (superficially) the whim of a greedy landlord.

Anyway, I thought I should pay my respects and I needed to pick up a birthday present for my Wife in Reading yesterday anyway so I popped in for a swift pint at around 5pm. I must be honest it felt like I went to a funeral, people speaking in hushed tones, condolences abound, all very sad. I wish them all luck for the future and hopefully they will open up somewhere else, less problematic, and more community oriented, my home town perhaps?

PS. The picture above was taken in their bar, seemed appropriate..

No comments: