Thursday, April 25, 2024

Life returns


I've blogged a couple of times now about a little pond that I walk past almost every day. I'm not sure it's a natural pond as it first appeared as a sales gimmick for a housing development (outside the sales office), then a couple of years later (once all the houses were sold) it was completely dug up and the plastic liner removed. Six months after that the water had returned and ever since then (about a 18 months ago) it's been regenerating itself with plants, reeds and depth. 

I noticed today that the little pond had some higher order life going on too, a family of ducklings (four of them) have moved in and judging by the size of them they must have hatched in the pond somewhere (although it's hard to see where, it's so small!), anyway ducks means that there's enough plant and aquatic life to sustain larger animals and that probably also means fish eggs being transported from other ponds via birds feet, I can't wait to see more critters on my daily walks as things develop. 

No comments: