Saturday, October 31, 2015

Wrestling with suspended belief..


I took my son and one of his friends to a local wrestling match the other day; I think they were hoping for a WWE experience like on the TV but, although it wasn't bad (quite fun actually), it was a little more Aldershot on a drizzly Thursday evening than Vegas, if you know what I mean. Still, the kids enjoyed themselves, much shouting, cheering and stamping going on although I must admit I did feel like there was a whole sub-culture going on there that I was completely oblivious to. I also confess that for most of the 2 hours I felt like turning to the people sitting next to me and reminding them that it wasn't real. I guess that's the skeptic in me, although I suspect most people didn't really care that it's all scripted and fake, they go for the atmosphere and good luck to them, at least wrestling fans don't insist that we have un-elected wrestlers in the House of Lords; although I would bet good money that a few of the Lords have tried on the gear..

No comments: