Monday, September 17, 2018

Early Adopter


I am a habitual early adopter, it's one of my greatest weaknesses. I got the original 1st generation Apple Watch when it came out, wore it for about a month then put it in a draw and forgot about it, this is often what happens to technology that doesn't grab me from the get-go. However, when I started on a bit of a health kick 18 months ago, and, as I got going with some habitual activities (like regular walks) I decided that I wanted some way of recording those activities, their duration and distances as well as give my self reminders and some way of capturing the raw data that I could then use to chart progress. 

Around two months ago I was reminded (by my wife) that I had this device, and, that it has some pretty comprehensive fitness features built into it! So, I dusted it off and started to wear it. I must say, I'm totally hooked on it now! For me, it was definitely a case of finding the right application that snared me rather than the underlying technology (which after all is just a glorified digital time-piece with a speaker-phone in it) Now I'm a complete sucker for completing my "rings" which on the Apple Watch is essentially a measurement, against a daily target of exercise, movement and standing up (as opposed to sitting down) which ultimately translates into calories burned. It tracks my excursions using the GPS in my phone and it measures pulse rates and distances covered as well as little pings and haptics to let me know when goals have been reached and when movement is desirable. I like it! Almost tempted to get the new one when it's out so that I can go swimming with it too, shame the price is so eye-watering!

No comments: