Sunday, February 10, 2019

Saintly wine


Went over to the French side last night, left a beef bourguignon slow cooking all day and then once the sun had set we cracked open this little beauty. It's from Bordeaux and made by the same people that make Leoville-las-Cases (a VERY expensive wine) This wine isn't in the same price league as it's bigger sibling but it's still on the pricey side (around £40), luckily I bought this many years ago for much less than this and it's been resting in it's wooden case alongside eleven of it's relatives ever since. I bought a case of the 2006 on the basis that it was supposed to be an exceptional year for this particular wine, my wife and I visited the chateaux in 2007 and the story they told us was that due to a bad year (weather-wise) quite a lot of the grapes normally destined for the grand-vin ended up in the Clos-du-Marquis. I always take these kinds of stories with a pinch of salt as, after all, the people telling them are usually trying to sell you wine but since I'm a big fan of this wine anyway, in for a penny etc. I'm pleased to confirm that this time the vinous tale seems to be true, the wine was superb. Inky, bursting with dark fruits, plum, raspberry, well integrated oak and a lengthy finish, totally the bees-knees with a hearty meat dish on a wet and windy evening.

No comments: