Friday, April 30, 2021

Hacker Update

 


Pleased to report that my little scheme for recovering the files on my hacked NAS device has been successful, I reckon I've pulled off most if not all of the photo's and sundries that had been illegally encrypted. The process took quite a while though (about 45 hours!) and now I have a drive full of files with meaningless names, the file extensions are ok though so it just means going through everything again and sorting it out into the directory structure that I had before (so I can find things), a job for a rainy day me thinks! Although, judging by the weather forecast we're about to get quite a few of those! I spent a couple of hours today tightening down my security set-up, it's amazing how many potential holes there are if you simply accept factory defaults for devices like this, I can't imagine anyone who isn't particularly computer literate trying to work out how to recover their lives from an attack like this or even protect themselves adequately from future ones. 

It's no wonder these hackers get rich quick, apparently this scam netted around half a million dollars in a few days from people paying the ransom. The problem is that this only spurs criminals on to attempt hacks like this even more often, in fact I believe there's another one affecting consumer NAS devices going on right now! I'm determined that it's going to be impossible for anyone to access this device from outside (i.e. the public internet) from now on! Anyway, I'm never going to rely on it again for anything that can't be easily restored, backups are moving to the cloud for me from now on!

No comments: