Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Right pal..


Interesting conversation going on over at Cif belief, and somewhat unbelievable bearing in mind we live in the 21st century in a secular democracy, i.e. why is this even a question at all? Anyway the question in question is "should schools require Christian worship?"... you can probably guess my answer.

I particularly love the way that some of the Christians commenting over there try and weasel out of any meaningful defence by playing the name calling game, one commenter provides the perfect response to a typically evasive example, see below:

Comment from Christian: "While all religions have a lot to answer for in terms of dirty secrets, I do not see many attacks from the vast majority of religious people directed at atheism with the same vitriol."

Response: "Right pal. Put yourself in my boots for a second. I happen to find Christianity ridiculous and morally repugnant in almost equal measure, but being a live-and-let-live sort of guy I really don't have a problem with Christians believing whatever they like so long as they afford me the same courtesy.

Then my son goes to (state, non-faith) school, and he's made to pray to the Christian God every day and sing songs about Jesus, and my only possible recourse is to either let some prat fill his head with nonsense or else have the school make him sit on his own for fifteen minutes at a time. Not much a choice, hence my frustration.

Get it straight. It ain't me who is being divisive here. It's not me who is ramming my disbelief down anyone's throat. It's your co-religionists. I am merely defending myself. Rest assured my antagonism will disappear the very second your lot finally stop sticking your imbecilic nonsense in my face at every opportunity.

Until that happens I will continue to be as vitriolic as I can manage."

Well said sir!

No comments: