Wednesday, February 08, 2012

Clowning around


I noticed that the debate about female bishops in the Anglican church has resurfaced recently. I must say it all seems very alien to me, why any organisation (particularly one aligned to a supposedly modern state) would want to exclude 50% of this planets' talent base from it's leadership ranks is baffling, I can't help but wonder why a few differences in a persons DNA would make such a difference, imagine if those DNA bases coded for skin colour or hat size instead of sex, what a furore there would be.

Anyway it's not an organisation that I wish to belong to and not just because it discriminates against Women, as Groucho Marx once said "I don't care to belong to any club that will have me as a member". I believe in freedom of expression and free speech so any private club should be free to choose it's own rules under the law but in this case it seems that an exception has been made by our society along fault lines of tradition, revelation and authority, never good reasons to do anything.

One thing that struck me more than the comedy of this debate was the picture that the independent newspaper chose to use for their story on it, a strident, disrespectful Atheist caption writers dream, "where does religion fit in modern society" would get the ball rolling or maybe "The hat’s nice, but he could use a bit more greasepaint." :)

2 comments:

Archdruid Eileen said...

For a moment I was about to demand the right for women to be clowns. But then I noticed one over the far left. However I notice she's been pushed thoroughly to the back of the shot.

Unless, of course, she's not a clown and that's just a very silly hat?

Steve Borthwick said...

AE, women, clowns, that's heresy, stone him!