Wednesday, October 21, 2015

Best laid plans


I was reminded today about the law of physics that says your kids don't have anything like the same idea about what constitutes fun as you do.

I took half-a-day off work to spend the morning with my daughter (half-term) and having planned what I thought was a fun packed few hours we sat down together to review the itinerary, each line item was greeted by the comment "why would I want to do that"... I felt deflated for a moment but then I thought, sod it, if you can't beat them, join them. We ended up spending the morning doing exactly what she wanted to do, which turned out to be delicately putting (what seemed like thousands) of small, coloured plastic cylinders* onto a preformed plastic pegboard in the shape of a rabbit. Then we ironed the beads so that they melted slightly fusing together and adopting the rabbit shape permanently, it was strangely therapeutic albeit slightly one dimensional; must be a girl thing?

*I am reliably informed that these are known as Hama Beads

No comments: