Friday, October 18, 2019

Voting with feet


American chicken fast-food chain Chick-fil-A is well known for it's controversial Christian outlook on human rights for LGBT people. The company was founded by biblical literalist S. Truett Cathy who was of the Southern Baptist flavour and was outwardly against things like gay marriage, he famously instilled those values into his company. Cathy died in 2014 but the key question for many is whether his values remain? I've never visited any of these restaurants and never will (sounds like crap food to me), but I was interested to see that a branch had opened recently in my nearest big town (Reading). No sooner had this happened than the protests started up and now I read that the outlet will have it's lease revoked by the host shopping centre and will be closed within six months. The company claims to have a pluralistic outlook these days and donates huge amounts of cash to worthy causes, I wonder if they've changed? Should we give them the benefit of the doubt or should we allow people to vote with their feet? Strange times.

No comments: