Wednesday, December 18, 2019

White van privilege


Popped out this afternoon for an hour to go pick up some Christmas bits and bobs at around 2:30 pm. I figured that the roads would be slightly quieter after the lunch-hour rush. Wrong, and utterly terrifying. The roads seemed to be full of white-vans* rushing around with no clue where they were going, I was nearly side swiped twice as vans aggressively cut corners because they didn't know the road and their speed was too high. I guess it's the culmination of our high-streets dying off and online shopping taking over, all those Amazon boxes need to be delivered by someone, and this time of year those someone's are mostly temporary staff less skilled in the art of knowing where the hell they're going and considerate parking. 

I'm thinking that I'm only venturing out now via train or after 6pm when all the white-vans migrate to where ever vans go to sleep (I'm imagining a huge car park, hidden in the woods somewhere, full of empty white-vans parked up for the night). Christmas works better sans-car and after dark anyway, it's the fairy lights that do it, and there's always the mulled wine to provide a quick warmth boost when needed.

*I'm not saying that it's just white vans that are the problem, other coloured vans are equally as bad...

No comments: