Monday, September 07, 2020

Bridging the generation gap


I took my Son up to his new digs at St. Andrews University over the weekend, boy, that was a long drive, 450 miles each way from my home in the South (Berkshire)! Haven't driven that far in quite a few years, pretty tiring but the roads were kind to me, not too busy and the weather was glorious. The picture above shows the return journey as I was traversing the Queensferry Crossing, a huge new bridge crossing the Firth of Forth that opened 3 years ago. I'd never seen it before but wow, what a stunner!

In order to break the journey up a bit we stayed overnight in the Edinburgh port area, Leith (see photo below), it was some nice father-son time just the two of us together on the long journey, a nice meal and a few pints by the old docks at the end of it, watching the world go by. 


He was feeling quite nervous about what was going to happen and where he was going to stay, making new friends and the whole future shock of having to fend for himself etc. So, we had a good old chin-wag about all of that, I hopefully put his mind at rest with tales of my own experiences in London, away from home as an adult for the first time in the big bad world (I loved it!). Neither of us had visited St. Andrews before and so only had Google Earth to go on, but, when we arrived the next morning, the Sun was out, it was warm and the town was buzzing with new arrivals, it was a beautiful place! Turns out that his rooms were really nice and right in the middle of the town, I was secretly relieved and he started to become excited! I must admit I felt a little envious, for all the great learning potential and fun ahead but, on the other hand, also a little dread for the lonely (long) drive home for myself. In the end the traffic was good to me again and I made the journey in a little under 8 hours, I decided that when the Sun is out the scenery in Scotland is very hard to beat.

No comments: