Wednesday, May 05, 2021

Good PR


Watching a film last night about what our species is doing to our home planet, specifically the Amazon rain-forest, it's not the first programme we've seen on the topic by a long chalk, but it never ceases to shock me how reckless we are. Obviously I realise that first-world inhabitants are the main culprits when it comes to using scarce resources, carbon emissions and pollution etc. even though we can't see it directly most of the time. It's quite sobering to analyze your own wastage and carbon footprint, although I must say that over the last year or so my own family has had much less impact than normal, hardly any fuel, no foreign holidays, less meat, more walking and so on, but then I suspect many families are in the same boat because of Covid.

In an effort to be proactive rather than just be shocked by TV programmes, I decided that I'd look into what it would take to make my company carbon-neutral. On initial inspection of the options, for us, I suspect that it would mostly mean offsetting, i.e. paying to neutralize our carbon output (we use lot's of electricity for our computer kit) but even so it may be possible to explore some other avenues too. When it comes to non-industrial companies taking this kind of step, it's hard not to see it as merely a "virtue signaling" kind of thing (i.e. positive marketing or appealing to the "woke" brigade) and maybe that's part of it, but, there is a genuine desire to improve things among our core team.

 

No comments: