Wednesday, December 08, 2021

Covid contrarians

 


There's an enormous who-ha going on at the moment in the media over the question regarding a supposed party that occurred in Number 10 last year at Christmas time. People seem to be getting upset that those responsible may be lying about it, i.e. attempting to deny that a party took place when the evidence so far suggests that something did occur. I must say, I'm more relaxed about the lying aspect of this story. I'm already convinced that this Government and (at least) some of the people running it pretty much lie about everything, so my default position is that I assume everything is a lie and look for evidence that it isn't. My only way of countering such fraud is to voice my opinion and disagreement openly and to vote the right way when I have the chance, which is what all of us can and should do.

What worries me more is the apparent response that many people seem to be having to this, social media channels are full of people saying that from now on they're not going to follow any guidelines or mandates related to precautionary actions around the pandemic. Apparently a case of "if a bunch of arrogant, entitled tossers in #10 are going to break the rules then so am I". Of course by doing so these people are making themselves no better than the tossers in #10 and are seemingly willing to put the more vulnerable people around them at risk out of base childish spite. Who such people think will end up worse off as a consequence of their disobedience is a mystery, do they think that Johnson gives a monkeys what regular people do? He's already proven beyond doubt (to me at least) that his number one priority is himself. 

I have to ask the obvious question, is this party business a hill that people are quite literally prepared to die on?

No comments: