Tuesday, February 28, 2023

Memory Lane


There are many moments in one's life that are memorable, sometimes for good reasons and sometimes for bad. It's often the case that we recall a precise date and time, or a specific place and associate it with a major life event or major news, for example where we proposed, where we were when we heard about 9/11 or when Elvis died etc. Such a place for me is the entrance arch pictured above. It was back in 2004 and I was working 100 hours a week building a little software company, this meant I was pretty much doing everything, and often working late into the night. 

This particular evening we had a big presentation to deliver to RBS (Royal Bank of Scotland) it was a deal clincher and it was critical that the presentation (mainly delivered by me) was absolutely perfect. Anyway, the meeting was scheduled for 6pm in the evening and the location was an office behind this archway in Holborn (the old Prudential building). We met our hosts and set things up; I started to present and about half an hour in my mobile phone (in my jacket pocket) rang, not wanting to interrupt the flow I took it out and handed it to my colleague and said "could you take that for me" he retired to the corridor and took the call, I carried on. Upon his return to the room 5 minutes later, he simply gave me a thumbs up and motioned that a message had been taken and I should continue. Eventually the meeting concluded at around 7pm, I retrieved my phone and checked the messages. 

There was only one message, from my wife, she said, "I don't want to alarm you or spoil your big presentation, but, I've just gone into labour", my wife being 8+ months pregnant at the time! I made my excuses, rushed out of the room and down the stairs, across the courtyard and up to the big metal gates (that you can see in the photo) they were closed and locked! In my haste and adrenaline flowing I simply scaled the gates and vaulted over the top onto the pavement beyond (how I didn't bust my ankles I don't know) I rushed out onto High Holborn and hailed a cab. I said to the cab driver, "you're probably not going to believe this but I need to get to the Royal Berkshire Hospital (40 miles away), as quick as you can!" Luckily he was really up for it and only charged me fifty quid, we sped through Central London and onto the M4, doing 90 mph most of the way! I got to the hospital and (amazingly) found the right ward/room fairly quickly, fortunately (for me) I was just in time, my Daughter was born about 20 minutes later. 

I'll never forget that evening, nor my somewhat devious colleague, nor that bloody gate!

No comments: