Friday, July 14, 2023

Old Skool IPA

Old Skool IPA

Popped over to the brewery this afternoon and snagged half a dozen of these beauties. It's a new West Coast IPA from Elusive Brewing and Andy Parker (the nicest man in brewing) The beer was made in collaboration with two other UK producers who are probably both in the top 5 UK brewers at the moment, The Kernel (London) and Burning Sky (Sussex) I greatly enjoy both of them. I had big expectations for this beer, Westies are somewhat of an Elusive speciality having scored much success with prior incarnations of the style such as "Oregon Trail". This one punches some distance above "OT" in my humble opinion, packing more of a punch on all fronts, from the 6.5% ABV to the pure OJ nose, pine resin and tangerine flavours and robust bitterness it's a very serious beer. The hops include a new experimental variety called "HBC522", not a catchy name, but my goodness such a glorious flavour combo with the other classic Yakima Valley varietals. All in all a memorable beer, by all accounts it's selling like hot cakes so I'm really glad to have the brewery close by; when I've finished the 6 cans I have (now 5!) I may just need to acquire a whole case to last the Summer!

No comments: