Saturday, July 06, 2024

Too far?


Went out for some drinks with friends last night (Friday) and we just walked to a local bar, one that we frequently go to, it was a pleasant evening which we all enjoyed, however...

I noticed that the prices of some of the beers on sale have reached silly proportions! There's a beer called "Soup" from a brewery in Barcelona, Spain (Garage) it's a nice hazy IPA which I've had several times before, it's not hard to get hold of here in the UK. Anyway, as you can see from the picture above the beer was being pushed out at £13.50 per pint, yes, you read that correctly. This is a ridiculous price, sure, the beer is from Spain (like many lagers these days) but if I go to one of the large online retailers (like Beermerchants.com) I can obtain the same beer for £6 for a 440ml can, or indeed I can get a local UK based equivalent for £4.50. While I fully understand that there's an overhead in sourcing foreign products and also for serving beer in a pub/bar setting, a mark-up of 200% seems overkill, in fact I'd go so far as to say "taking the piss", this isn't far off the price of a low-end bottle of wine in many places! 

It's a shame but we're seriously re-considering our patronage of this particular establishment!

No comments: