Thursday, July 16, 2020

The wheels of commerce


Had a beer from my local craft brewery (Siren) last weekend that's called "Suspended in Cans", it was a lovely hazy pale ale, easy drinking at 4% ABV and delightfully fruity and flavorsome. Now, as a keen craft beer nerd I like to know what hops are in my beer but there was no clue on the can and none in the name, so I was a bit puzzled about the hops, my curiosity was piqued! 

Later this week I discovered that the way you find out which particular hops have been used in the "Suspended In Cans" series is to look at the bottom of the can and ascertain the "Gyle Number" (a "Gyle" is the number issued sequentially by the brewer for batches of beer brewed), this was "G1753" as per the one shown in the photo (also showing that the beer was only 14 days old, fresh!). Then you visit the company WEB site and click on the image of a can of this beer in the online shop, and hay presto, you are presented with a combo-box showing all the different Gyles, the entry for 1753 shows that the hops used were Citra, Centennial and Simcoe. What a clever way of driving people (like me) to a WEB site, where of course you can be bombarded with suitable marketing offers etc.. 

Good to see the wheels of commerce turning in ever innovative ways.

No comments: