Friday, September 29, 2023

Pining for the Fjords


We were reminiscing about the Summer and our holidays this year and looking through some photo's this evening, and I spotted this one (taken on the way into Bergen) and for a moment couldn't remember why I took it? Then I noticed the grey concrete buildings in the centre of the picture, they are, amazingly, old WWII U-Boat pens, left by the Germans (and knowing the Norwegian penchant for re-cycling, probably used for something eminently sensible today), there used to be three pens apparently but one was destroyed by allied bombing. I didn't know these historical artefacts were here but recognised their form from pictures of equivalent structures in France that I'd seen on various Nazi documentaries on the Discovery Channel (which exclusively features programs on sharks or Nazis) and snapped a picture for posterity, wish we were on holiday again now, I really must retire soon!

No comments: