Monday, October 05, 2026

Birthday Treats II

 

Continuing on a wine/birthday theme, we had dinner on Saturday evening at a restaurant called "Nobel Rot", (not the first time I'd visited) it's a bistro style joint with an epic wine list (the wine is their thing really) Since it was my birthday I decided to push the boat out a bit and try something from the top shelf. The 97 Ridge Monte Bello was just the job, I'd had plenty of Ridge wines before but this one is their flagship and something I'd only ever read about and 97 was a brilliant vintage in California, you don't see this wine (at this age) much on lists here in the UK, so I just had to bite the bullet and try it!

It didn't disappoint, absolutely alive and kicking after nearly 30 years under cork, massive nose of blackcurrant and pencil lead with hints of chocolate, on the palette it opened out with blueberries, notes of mint and those chalky smooth tannins that seem to reveal layer after layer of deliciousness, very long. A truly fantastic wine, probably one of the most memorable I've ever had (and I've had quite a few good ones!) I'd love to go out and buy a case but unfortunately for me most other wine lovers feel the same and the prices for the Monte Bello are heart stopping these days, hopefully after we win the lottery I'll drink nothing else, then again I hear the 2013 is even better, there's always next year.

No comments: