Thursday, December 24, 2015

Seasonal treat


I decided to get the holiday season off to a quality start last night by opening a white Burgundy wine from a tiny area called "Batard Montrachet" It's a bottle I've been saving for about 12 years and I'm pleased to report we weren't disappointed! The wine was still really tight and fresh, lovely matchstick dryness, apricots and hazelnut on the nose and a seductive deep straw yellow colour (indicative of it's age) Tasting revealed many layers of complex flavours, there was apricot, honey, hazelnut and a wonderful tangerine-citrus twang on the finish. The wine had that classic oily viscosity that only the best examples from this region seem to have, a real luxury that I can still taste vividly (in my memory) 12 hours later, it's hard to top Chardonnay from the Cote de Beaune when it's in this kind of form.

No comments: