Sunday, January 06, 2019

Bookending the holiday


Had the luck to spend a Friday night up in town this weekend, planned as a sort of "bookend" to the holiday period. The whole family stayed over in a hotel on one of those weekend deals that are popular at this time of year (i.e. off-season) and we toured some of the art galleries around Shoreditch as my daughter is doing an art scholarship at her school and needed some "inspiration", it was fun. Having walked the teenagers into the ground we left them in their room fiddling with their phones and my wife and I popped over to "The Rake" a pub in Borough Market and had a couple of crafty beers before dinner. In this pub people write on the walls, but, the catch is that you have to be a proper "brewer" before they let you do it. I was pleasantly surprised to notice that right next to where we were sitting was a little scrawl by Andy Parker of Elusive Brewing which is based in Finchampstead just up the road from my house. I visited his tiny brewery a couple of weekends ago, see here. Whilst there we had a couple of beers by Siren (my local craft brewery) it's nice to see Berkshire represented so well in the craft beer universe.

No comments: