Wednesday, January 30, 2019

Modern life is rubbish


I often have philosophical discussions on the why's and wherefore's of modern software development with the younger members of the team at work. One of the enduring themes that often comes up is the difference in attitude between us old-timers and the young-bucks when it comes to building brand new stuff. Invariably when presented with a challenge that needs basic components to be built, like say a parser or lexer I will simply build it from scratch using patterns that I learned years ago, and I modernized them to take advantage of newer frameworks and language features. The youngsters, on the other hand, wouldn't dream of doing it this way, what they do instead is spend the time I would spend building something by looking on-line for a piece of open-source that someone else had already built and modifying it to fit the required scenario. Both approaches end up at the same place (hopefully!) but illustrate perhaps a slight shift in attitude and approach; they look at what I do and pour scorn on the amount of testing and de-bugging I inevitably need to do and I look at them and pour scorn on the amount of customization they need to do to achieve a good fit and the inevitable compromises they need to make. In the end I'm not sure what the best solution is, I suspect there might not even be a "best" solution as every scenario is unique, but I can't help feeling that on balance I create better results in the end, albeit slightly slower.

No comments: