Saturday, June 18, 2022

Hot in the city



Decided to have an impromptu day off yesterday and my wife and I hopped on a train (while we still can!) and headed into London for the day. We had a pleasant if not sweltering walk around the shops as I was looking to buy a few bits for the warmer weather. After satisfying our various consumer itches we headed over to Covent Garden and Endell St where there are a couple of my favourite watering holes, first the Craft Beer Co. to cool down with a cold beer and then a little further up the street to The 10 Cases which is a great little wine bar with an excellent list at very reasonable (for London) prices and really knowledgeable staff. We opted for a cheese board and a bottle of Felton Road Chardonnay from New Zealand, which I'd never tried before. Turned out to be a delicious combo, delightful in the afternoon sunshine. On the way back I managed to have a snoop around the new central section of the Elizabeth line, wow, that's quite some feat of engineering, absolutely massive! I was extremely impressed with the whole set up, beautiful new stations and very efficient. Amazingly we hopped on the train at Tottenham Court Road and in one stop (about 4 minutes) arrived at Paddington station, a journey which would have taken at least 20-25 minutes previously since there's no direct route.


We headed home reasonably early and caught a fast train from Paddington which got us home before 7pm absolutely knackered, I fell asleep on the sofa and was luckily awoken by my kids coming home at midnight from a day at the Ascot races, a thoroughly productive day all round!

No comments: