Monday, January 30, 2023

It's just a number


They say that as you get older you only feel it on the outside (i.e. your body changes) but inside, i.e. in your mind, you feel the same as you did when you were 16. I'm not sure this is entirely true, the brain deteriorates over time just like the body does, memory fades, signal processing gets slower and smaller and smaller tasks sap more and more energy. I was 60 last year, it was a significant milestone for me and I'm determined to try to stay as active physically and mentally as possible, nothing silly just a light work-out or other exercise every day and a focus on eating healthy food, made from scratch. On the mental side I try to exercise my brain in the same way as my body, little and often, reading, writing computer software, researching new technologies, learning new things etc. As the tee shirt says it's weird to contemplate your own aging and eventual demise but there are definitely things we can do to make the ride more enjoyable and comfortable.

 

No comments: