Thursday, January 26, 2023

Putty 2023


As previously mentioned and also this time last year, January is the month that Verdant (Cornish uber-brewers) produce and release their iconic DIPA (double IPA), Putty. It's a craft beer bubble staple and is so popular that stocks of this beer literally sell out within an hour or two of the release at 10:30 am on the 18th of the month. I was ready with my finger over the return key at exactly 10:30 am and managed to snag 6 cans (the max any individual is permitted to buy!) anyway I'm pleased to report that I tried a can at the weekend and it's (as expected) utterly lush. Deep, rich, smooth with a delightful fruit profile of masses of mango and passion fruit with underlying layers of citrus, dank pine and malt. A triumph and worthy of the Putty name. 

I'd say this year's offering is a little more "umami" than last year, a touch more garlic than I remember (in a good way), I'd even go so far as to say I slightly prefer this years beer over last, feels a little more nuanced, but TBH there's only a cigarette paper's width between them. 

Great job Verdant!

 

No comments: