Thursday, January 05, 2023

Silly Beer (names)


There is a trend at the moment for craft beer breweries (and some others) to call their new beers by some pithy, amusing or pun filled moniker. I guess with all of the shiny, artful labels out there and hundreds of brews to choose from you need some way to stand out from the crowd! Personally I prefer the way that breweries like The Kernel do it, they just state the name of the hops used and the style of the beer, like "Mosaic and Citra IPA", that's useful! But, I suppose some people prefer a little "show-biz" in their beer choice, Brew York based, unsurprisingly in York, are masters of the funky pun beer name. I noticed one of theirs on tap at my local the other day, a rhubarb flavoured pale ale called, "Rhubarbra Streisand", not sure why that particular actress is relevant to a flavoured pale but I suppose it caused me to do a double-take, still didn't buy one though!

 

No comments: