I've been reading (with dismay) about the raging wildfires happening in the South West of France at the moment, very scary stuff, I shudder to think what might happen if the flames manage to get through to the outskirts of the densely populated suburbs of Bordeaux itself. I also shudder to think about the pristine chateaux and vineyards of the Medoc and Pessac, it would be a national disaster if they could not be saved, not to mention a wine lovers worst nightmare!
I recall our holiday to Crete last year, one evening on our way back from town to our hotel we passed a raging wildfire going on about half a kilometer from our residence, I managed to snap a rather blurry photo of the fire from the roof of the building (see above) We were all relieved that the Greek fire service were on top form that evening and around 6 fire engines managed to extinguish the flames within an hour or so but it was still quite scary to watch whole olive trees be consumed by flames within a few seconds before jumping to the next tree etc.., such was the dry state of the brush surrounding our little enclave. Fortunately no buildings were destroyed in the fire and it seemed like no one was in too much danger once the firemen got control of things, I can only imagine what it must be like in Southern Europe at the moment, I wish them the best of luck and more pragmatically a little rain in the forecast?
No comments:
Post a Comment