Friday, November 12, 2021

Live gigs


Spent an entertaining evening at the Apollo in Hammersmith last night watching Tim Minchin perform a bunch of old and new songs intermingled with his usual story telling and ranting (mostly about anti-rational BS) It was lush! This was the first big audience event that we've been to since the pandemic started so we were a little apprehensive, however, the system seemed OK. Pretty thorough checks for vaccine passports at the doors, airport security and extensive distancing (queuing) to get in.


I seem to remember that the last time I visited the Hammersmith Odeon (as it was then) was to see Toyah Willcox (Anthem tour) in concert (June 1981), which aged 17 felt wonderful. If I'd had a time machine that allowed me to glimpse forward forty years I think I would have been quite surprised how the processes and hardware involved had changed but also how little difference there was in how a live gig feels or works. The picture above shows the empty stage (not allowed to take pictures of the actual gig) but you can see how busy (packed!) the place was and we were upstairs!

 

No comments: