Monday, September 14, 2009

Hey Catholics, want a new saint?

I must confess I know very little about the Catholic beatification process, I'm sure there are very many rules and exceptions to it. I read a story about the death of a man today who would definitely be on my sainthood list, simply because he quietly and diligently worked to make a real and tangible impact on the whole of human kind; regardless of faith, colour or creed.


The man in question is Norman Borlaug, Norman who? I hear you ask, NB was a scientist (I have no idea what religion he followed or none) but back in the 60s he figured out how to hybridise wheat in order to increase yields and disease resistance. This sounds like the kind of geeky stuff that boffins in white coats do, i.e. of little interest to "normal" people. The big deal about Norman's work was that it succeeded in enabling the doubling of food production world-wide between 1960 and 1990, this increase almost certainly avoided a worldwide famine in the late 20th century; it is conservatively estimated that he was directly responsible for saving many hundreds of millions of lives. He wasn't a rich or famous man, quite modest you could say, and he dedicated the later years of his life to training and education; his legacy is of epic scale though, he truly made the world a better place for generations, particularly poor people in the third world.

If there are conditions for becoming a saint then surely Norman Borlaug exceeds them?

1 comment:

Chairman Bill said...

I'd say he's achieved enlightenment.