Monday, October 18, 2010

Electrons cost more than paper?

I was looking at a book for my new Kindle today and noticed that the electronic version is MORE expensive than the paper back, huh? Why would someone pay more for electrons than a hard copy? If Amazon really want this format to take off and possibly even save a few trees into the bargain then they seriously need to sort their download pricing out.

The book in question is the new Booker prize winner "The Finkler Question", which is £5.99 in paperback but £6.64 for the Kindle edition! Are Amazon really suggesting that it costs them 10% more for me to download a little text file than pulp, manufacture, print, distribute, warehouse, pick and then ship a physical book?

Is this a case of the electronic revolution stifled by greedy retailers or greedy publishers I wonder which? In any case I probably won't buy either now.

3 comments:

Archdruid Eileen said...

Tthe great thing about books is that you can burn them if you don't agree with them. Doesn't work with Kindle.

Archdruid Eileen said...

Oh! Just given myself an idea....

Steve Borthwick said...

AE, imagine having a mass kindle burning, not only could you burn millions of books at once but I'm sure the fumes would solve whatever problem there was in the minds of the participants anyway.