Monday, October 11, 2010

Let there be light

It was my birthday recently, it's not important how old I was but let's say I'm almost certainly more than half way through the game! But to compensate for feelings of being past it, I got a couple of really nice presents. My long suffering Wife got me one of those new Amazon Kindle e-book readers which I love, her hidden agenda of course was to remove the unruly pile of books by my side of our bed, this can now be reduced to something the size of half an A4 sheet of paper and about the thickness of a pencil. I also got a leather cover for it that has a sneaky pull-out light in one corner; this means that if I want to read after lights-out then I can without disturbing her, although I must admit that I feel a little like a naughty schoolboy with a torch under the covers!


For those struggling to visualise this, above is a picture of one fully extended, Oo-er missus!

Talking of light, I also got the latest Linkin Park album, "A Thousand Suns". I like it, gone (mostly) are the screaming teenage angst ridden tracks of "nobody's listening" to much more important subjects like nuclear war, I guess we all have to grow up some time. One small point of scientific interest was that one track features the voice of Robert Oppenheimer quoting the Hindu Bhagavad Gita, "Now I am become Death, the destroyer of worlds", very poignant.

No comments: