Sunday, December 31, 2017

2017 Top 10's - Craft Breweries


I've been lucky enough to visit several craft beer establishments this year and I hope to visit many more in 2018! Here's my list of top 10 UK breweries for 2017...

1. Verdant - Based down in Falmouth, Cornwall this small independent brewery is knocking it out of the park at the moment, their beers have a rock-solid rep. and are becoming as rare as hen's teeth with every new release!

2. Burning Sky - Sussex brewer Burning Sky has been on my radar for a year or so now, very close run thing with Verdant for the #1 spot on my list, their beers seem to be getting better and better.

3. Cloudwater - Manchester masters Cloudwater have gone from strength to strength this year, I have been particularly impressed with their collaborations, long may it continue (now if I could only find somewhere reliable to buy them)!

4. Magic Rock - Huddersfield is the home of this up and coming brewery, I've tried a couple of their beers this year and hope to try many more next year!

5. Lost and Grounded - Bristol based and making a name for themselves this year with some interesting takes on some old classic styles.

6. Elusive Brewing - Local (to me at least)  Elusive is based on the same industrial estate as the #7 on my list (Siren) I've only tried one of their beers and it was a cracker; can't wait to try more!

7. Siren Craft Brew - I've been following Siren with interest for a couple of years now; hopefully now that they have a new tap room and shop I'll be following them more closely!

8. Beavertown - London classics, perhaps a little large to be called "craft" these days but the spirit that's projected is still hardcore East-end hipster!

9. BrewDog - These guys must be approaching major industrial brewer status by now but they proved they can still create interesting beer, Hazy Jane was one of my favourites of the year.

10. Kernel - One of the original Bermondsey-beer-mile pioneers, still cranking out great IPA's (among other things) always a banker if you can't see anything else on the list that you recognise.

No comments: