Friday, December 29, 2017

Imperial blueberry


In an effort to promote local businesses I dropped into my local bottle shop in Reading today and picked up a bottle of this beauty from Finchampstead brewer, "Elusive"; they're probably only 2-3 miles from my front door but I'd never tried any of their beers before. That's all changing tonight as I sup my way through this monster. It's called "Love Action" and is what's known as an "Imperial Stout", no, nothing to do with Star Wars, but referring to the strength of the beer (10%) and the fact that strong stouts like this used to be brewed in England and transported by ship to the Imperial court of Catherine II of Russia; they had to be strong in alcohol to remain in good condition for the duration of the voyage. This particular stout has been made with blueberries and vanilla and boy can you pick up these flavours in the beer, they complement and balance out the dark chocolate malts and heavy hit of alcohol really well, a thoroughly delicious, dark, thick syrup of a beer. I'll definitely be seeking more of these guys' brews out in future, may even wander over there one afternoon and see what they're up to!

No comments: